Friday, June 14, 2013

As one chapter ends, another begins...

Well, I've officially completed my first year of teaching music at Joshua Academy!  I can't even begin to describe the feeling of watching my 6th graders walk across the stage, and thinking of how much they've learned about music, how much they've grown as people, and how my love for them and for teaching has grown as well.  Wow... And, on top of that, I've got a new room to teach in next year!  It's much bigger, has storage space (which I had none in my first room), and will be a perfect fit for Joshua Academy Music.  On top of that, the 5-6th graders MOVED MY ENTIRE ROOM for me yesterday!!!! I couldn't believe it; they carried all of the books, instruments, even my electric organ, all the way through the school, down steps, and into the new room, PLUS they organized the room for me!  I couldn't believe it.  I'm going to miss these bright ones, especially my 6th grade, very much.  They have definitely helped me develop as a teacher and mentor over the past year.

For that matter, this past year has most definitely been quite the whirlwind.  Thinking back to the beginning of June last year and thinking where I am now, how much I've grown in so many different ways, the things that have lifted my spirits and pushed me to become a better person, the things that tore me down to such a low point that it made me reevaluate my myself entirely... so many things to remember about this chapter in life.  But I can definitely say with confidence that I am a much better person in so many different ways because of my experiences, and I sincerely thank the people I have been blessed with in my life that have made it all worth the ups and downs.  I've made so many new friends and I have an infinite number of things to be thankful for.  So, for those that actually see this, thank you!  If I can figure out a way to blot out faces, I'll definitely post pictures and videos.

I am also going to start working on my teaching blog, and tying it in with Joshua Academy Music.  It'll take me a little while, but after it's done, I'll have example lesson plans, goals, music, and much more for everyone to check out.  In the meantime, check out what's there using the link above!  There will also be a place for those who would like to donate to Joshua Academy Music!

Also, more info about Project:Accent will be there!  Project:Accent is an opportunity for bright young students to learn fun music and play with others in a challenging and exciting learning environment.  Rehearsals are all in July, with a final performance July 31.  If you're interested, please let me know!

Here's some pics of my 5th grade Bright Ones, and my new and improved JAM room!  :-)

  



3 comments:

  1. I love this, so much that you've have done for the future children, keep it up Monte Skelton!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on making it through your.first year! Music is such an important part of our lives and I am glad the students are able to learn and grow through music. We are lucky to have you on our team!

    ReplyDelete